Thursday, August 30, 2012

August 30: Book Club, Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot

My book club meets tonight.  On the menu from this evening will be a pepperjack cheese quiche.  Other people will be bringing dishes, as well.  However, my contribution will be the quiche.  The book club is meeting a little later than normal--7:30 p.m. instead of 7 p.m.  I have to drop my car off at the garage to get some work done tomorrow, and my daughter has her open house at school this evening.

The book this month is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  Even though this book has been a staple for books clubs over the last two years, I've avoided suggesting it to my club.  I have a thing for avoiding popular choices.  Now that I've finished reading it, I don't know why I was so dead-set against it.  It's a great book.  Equal parts tragic, thought-provoking, aggravating, beautiful, and hopeful.  I would teach this book in a class.

It's going to be a good night, although it's going to take a long time to get there.  First the garage, then my daughter's school, and then the book club.  I'm looking forward to relaxing for a few hours after a really stressful week.  The first week of a new semester always wipes me out.

Saint Marty is not feeling immortal or special tonight.  He's feeling pretty damn tired.

Rebecca Skloot and her immortal book


No comments:

Post a Comment