Friday, August 3, 2012

August 3: All Day To-Morrow, Vacation, Plans

"You'll want all day to-morrow, I suppose?" said Scrooge.

Of course, this little piece of dialogue is Scrooge's famous response to Bob Cratchit wanting Christmas day off from work.  It's  a classic Scrooge move, feeling abused by Bob's request for a vacation.  Christmas is a losing proposition for Scrooge.  He doesn't get any work out of his clerk, but he still has to pay Bob.  It seems mightily unfair to Scrooge.  If I didn't know any better, I'd swear Scrooge was a Republican.

Next week, I'm on vacation.  As with most of my vacations, I have already made a few plans.  On Monday, the praise band I play keyboard for is performing at a local church camp.  That's going to take all night long.  I'm supposed to go to a movie with a close friend, and I'm going to try to get my family together with an old college friend and his family.  I also want to clean out a corner of my dining room and maybe organize my attic a little bit.

I'm not sure if I'm the only person who does this kind of planning for a vacation.  I'm trying to be realistic.  I may not get to the attic.  I'm determined to get to the dining room corner, and I really want to go to a movie with my friend.  The only thing that's definite is Monday night's band performance.  I should also get an oil change for my car, which is always a scary experience.  The garage always finds something wrong that's incredibly expensive to fix.

Sometimes working is less stressful than being on vacation.  When I'm on vacation, which happens only twice a year, I feel obligated to squeeze in as much extracurricular activities as I can.  In doing so, I usually end up exhausted.  I go back to work not feeling rejuvenated or refreshed.  I go back to work needing a vacation from my vacation.

I know this vacation scheduling practice of mine is not healthy.  I tend to be a Type A personality, in case you haven't noticed.  I like having fun, but I have to fit it into my day.  Fun cannot screw up my normal activities.

Saint Marty needs some time off to plan his time off.


No room for surprises

No comments:

Post a Comment