Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 11: Marley Was Dead, Starting Over, New Cartoon

Marley was dead:  to begin with.  There is no doubt whatever about that.  The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner.  Scrooge signed it:  and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose, to put his hand to.  Old Marley was dead as a door-nail.

Well, I have gone back to the beginning.  The paragraph above, as you are probably aware, is the first paragraph of the novel.  It sets up many of the novel's main elements:  death, money, a hint of something a little paranormal (insisting that Old Marley is dead promises that he will eventually make a personal appearance).  Generally, ghost stories involve some kind of retribution or judgement.  A living person learns something, and the world that has been out-of-balance becomes balanced once more.

I am returning to the beginning this morning.  After learning last night that my book of poems did not win the poetry competition, I need to rethink, reevaluate, and resubmit.  Like Marley's ghost, that book keeps coming back to me, shaking its chains and moaning, "I'm not done yet.  Not yet.  Not yet."  I have to come up with another plan to put that manuscript to rest, short of cremation, which I have contemplated.

My current plan, as of 10:11 a.m., Saturday, August 11, 2012, is to talk to some of my poet friends and get some leads on publishers and university presses.  Then, I will submit my book again.  I'm not done yet.  I still have hope for Marley yet.

Saint Marty is finished wallowing.  He needs to get busy exorcising some ghosts, putting his world back into balance.

Confessions of Saint Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment