Friday, December 16, 2011

December 16: Clarence's Inscription


The inscription above is from Clarence Odbody, the angel who comes down to Earth to help George Bailey on Christmas Eve.  Clarence has been trying for over 300 years to earn his wings, and George is his last chance.  At the end of the film, George finds a copy of Tom Sawyer by his Christmas tree.  It's from Clarence, who has a fondness for Mark Twain.  Those words are written in the book.  It pretty much sums up the entire message of the film.

I have a a new disciple on Saint Marty.  Actually, she may be new to the blog, but she's one of my oldest friends (I don't mean that in a chronological way, either).  Her name is Jody, and we have known each other for close to 20 years.  She currently resides in Georgia, and we see each other when the weather gets warm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and she decides to come for a visit.  The last time we saw each other, we sat down and started talking like we'd just seen each other the previous day, even though we hadn't laid eyes on each other in three or four years.  She's that kind of friend, and I miss her a great deal every day.  Therefore, I'm sending a big hug and kiss and blessing to Jody, lucky disciple number 13.

I wasn't really planning on posting again today, but seeing Jody's name reminded me of this quote from Clarence the angel.  Friends are people who can surprise you and make you smile at the same time.  Jody just did that for me.  Friends are people who, when you think of their names, make you feel good about yourself.  Jody's always done that for me.  Friends are people who will listen to you cry on the phone and cry with you.  Jody has done that with me, on several occasions.  Clarence is right.  No man is a failure who has even one person like that in their lives.

I'm not a failure, because I have Jody as a friend.  OK, I have a lot of other friends, too, but Jody has always been, well, special.  So allow me to get a little sentimental.  It's almost Christmas time, for Christ's sake.  Cut me some slack.

Jody, you are my Clarence Odbody tonight, reminding me that I'm not a failure.  That I have a friend like you.

And that makes Saint Marty pretty rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment