Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 17: Why Don't You Stop Annoying People?


Oh, why don't you stop annoying people?

George Bailey says this to Freddie Othello (Carl Dean Switzer of Little Rascals fame) when George starts to dance with Mary, his future wife, at a high school graduation celebration.  Freddie, of course, has his own ideas about Donna Reed.  Who wouldn't?  But George just swoops right in and trounces Freddie/Alfalfa's dreams.  Freddie keeps talking, and George and Mary dance away.  Of course, Freddie gets back at George by sending him into the pool for an unexpected swim, but Freddie never does get his dance with Mary.

In my lines of work (adjunct English professor and registration person at a medical office), I deal with a lot of people.  Different people, with varying levels of annoying/endearing qualities.  Some days, I can muster up a lot of tolerance for student/patient idiosyncrasies.  Other days, I want to be like George Bailey talking to Freddie Othello.  I know it's not a very Christian attitude to have, but I sometimes want to tell people to just sit down and shut up.  In the last few weeks, with the end of the semester crunch and Christmas fast approaching, I've had a very difficult time controlling my naturally sarcastic tendencies.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you may have noticed my penchant for biting humor.  This character trait could get me in a great deal of trouble professionally if I don't control it.  Plus, it's just not very attractive.

I'm trying, in the waning days before Christmas Eve, to be more positive, less George Carlinesque.  I genuinely like most people, and I genuinely want most people to like me.  Therefore, to all the Carl Dean Switzers of the world, I vow, as part of my Christmas duty, to try to treat you nicer.  I vow to not point out your annoying habits.  I vow to tolerate your stupidity with a grin and a nod.

Just try not to piss Saint Marty off too much.  Please.

Here's a new cartoon for you:

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment