Saturday, December 10, 2011

December 10: Christmas Program, New Poem, New Cartoon

The big thing I did today was have the final rehearsal for the Sunday School Christmas program at church.  It was chaos, as I expected.  There were some kids there who had been to exactly two rehearsals.  Other kids were just being kids.  I only had to use my big director's voice once, but that was enough to upset one of the mother's who was sitting in the sanctuary watching.  She thought I scared the kids.

Well, I got their attention, that's for sure.  I wasn't mean or angry.  I just raised my voice above their raised voices and made myself heard.  If they want to fire me for that, go right ahead.  I have Christmas cards that still need to be addressed.

As promised, I have a new poem for my disciples today.  I'm not sure if it's any good.  It's been through a few incarnations.  This current draft may not be final, but I gave you my word I would have a poem for you today.  Therefore, good or bad, here is a new poem.

Once Was Lost

I once lost my Subaru for an hour
At a mall, wandered from lots
A, B, C, D, E, F until I spied it,
Next to an information kiosk
Where I parked so I wouldn't forget.
This morning, I couldn't say "goodbye"
To a friend who is moving away.
I searched and searched for a way
To let her know how much
I didn't want to lose her.  In the end,
I hugged her, said, "I'll see you
Tomorrow," and left with that
Empty hope in my hands.
Tonight, I lost myself
In my wife, hungry for connection
Of body to body, tumblers
Finding each other, clicking
Together, opening the locked
Place where nothing is lost,
Where everything matters,
Each hair, breath, scar, mole
Counted like pearl or amethyst.

There you go, for better or worse.  That's the poem I have for you guys today.  I have gotten pretty rusty in the last few weeks.  It took me three days to come up with that little bit of poesy.

I also have a new installment of the Confessions of Saint Marty this evening.  I guess you guys are twice blessed.  A new poem and a new cartoon.  You couldn't ask for much more than that this weekend.

Saint Marty needs to do some grading now.  Cheers.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment