Friday, December 23, 2011

December 23: Bust in the Jaw

“Yeah, I got a bust in the jaw in answer to a prayer a little bit ago.”
George and the answer to his prayer
George at his lowest.  He has just “rescued” Clarence the angel from drowning, and they’re warming themselves by a fire.  George still thinks his life has been a waste.  He still thinks he’s going to jail.  And he still thinks that everyone would be better off without him.  Clarence asks George about his bloody lip, and George provides the above explanation.
I think we’ve all been in the place where George is when he says this to Clarence.  I was there just a few days ago when I found out that our mortgage refinance had been denied.  I’d been praying that God would somehow help us with our finances, give us some relief from our monetary stress.  When the letter came a couple of days ago from the credit union, it seemed like a “bust in the jaw” in answer to my prayers.  I know that God had nothing to do with our denial, but, at the moment, it sure seemed like He was the chief loan officer.  I was angry and confused, just like George.
As a Christian, I try to live a good life.  When I walk by Salvation Army bell ringers, I always give them money.  I contribute to the church love fund for people in trouble.  I drop my envelope in the collection plate every Sunday.  I sing in the choir.  I play in a Praise Band.  I’m the head of the freaking Worship Committee at church.  I do my best to treat everybody I meet as if they are Jesus Christ in disguise.  (This last thing is the one at which I fail most frequently.)  So, when I suffer some kind of setback, I think to myself, “What in the world did I do wrong, God?”
Of course, I didn’t do anything wrong.  The denial of our refinance is not some kind of divine punishment.  My prayer is still going to be answered, just like George’s prayer is answered.  George’s answer isn’t the one he’s looking for.  My answer is still coming.  A lot of people labor under the mistaken impression that, because you’re a follower of Christ and have been saved, your life is going to be blessed and easy.  That ain’t quite the way it works.  Jesus was the Son of God, and He still had a pretty rough Easter weekend once.
It’s all a matter of faith.  When George learns what real success is (his friends and family), he learns to trust in God.  He learns that God doesn’t answers prayers by busting your jaw.
Saint Marty lost sight of this fact a little while ago.  He just needs to keep his eyes peeled for his Clarence now.

No comments:

Post a Comment