Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 17: Classes, Disappointed, More Mythology

Well, I spoke to the English Department Head this morning.  He offered my two Good Books classes.  Unfortunately, they were both in mid- to late-morning.  Now that I don't have a coworker to cover for me in the morning, I can't take those classes.  So, it looks like I'm going to be teaching two afternoon sections of mythology next winter semester.  Obviously, it isn't my first choice.  It's not a schedule I can get really excited about right now, partly because  I don't think my mythology class is really working as well as I thought it would this semester.

Thus, I'm a little disappointed this afternoon.  I'm happy that I'm getting two courses to teach.  If I were only teaching one class next winter, I don't think I would have been able to pay my bills.  I should be grateful to God for those two classes.

I think the reason I'm struggling right now with mythology is the amount of history and geography in the textbook I'm using.  I've never been a great student of either of those subjects.  I know of one mythology professor who simply taught The Odyssey  for half a semester and the The Iliad for the other half.  It's a decent way of approaching Greek mythology since much of what we know comes from those two works.  I just don't know how much enthusiasm I can work up for an entire semester of Homer.

Perhaps, having only to concentrate on mythology will be easier.  I can hope.  I'm not sure what else I can do to make the class better.

Saint Marty needs some good news soon.

Don't know if I can take a whole semester of this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment