Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1: More Time, The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything

Giving another midterm this afternoon, this time to my mythology class.  Frankly, I don’t understand why any of my students stress over my tests.  They seem fairly simple to me.  If a student reads what I assign and listens in class, maybe takes a few notes, he shouldn’t have a problem.  I Love these kind of teaching days.  I don’t have to perform too much, and I can get a lot of other busy work done, as well.
Today, for example, I will administer my midterm.  While my students are taking the midterm, I will be correcting their response papers and journals.  Once the last student finishes the midterm, I will have them write a journal entry about heroes, and then I will start discussing the story of Gilgamesh.  Simple as pecan pie.  For those of you who have never made a pecan pie, it’s pretty doggone simple, like pulling up a zipper.
I’m sort of glad that I scheduled a week like this for myself in the middle of the semester (I gave a midterm yesterday in Good Books, as well).  This time of year, I start to fall behind in almost all my activities—grading, reading, exercising, sleeping, everything but eating.  It makes me think of a TV movie from 1980 titled The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything.  It’s about a guy who inherits from his rich uncle a pocket watch that can stop time.  That’s what I need.  Something that just gives me about twenty more hours in the day to get everything done.
I haven’t thought about that movie for years.  It was one of my favorites when I was a teenager, and even spawned a sequel, I believe.  I wanted to be Robert Hays in that movie.  Now, screw Robert Hays.  I’d be happy for just a couple more hours of sleep, or a day to get some teaching prep done.  I’ve really lowered my standards.
I’ve had more than one person tell me that God never gives you anything that He doesn’t think you can handle.
God must have a pretty high opinion of Saint Marty.
Whatever happened to Robert Hays?

No comments:

Post a Comment