Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October 24: Alone, Quite Alone, Where Have All the Readers Gone?

"Mr. Scrooge it was.  I passed his office window; and as it was not shut up, and he had a candle inside, I could scarcely help seeing him.  His partner lies upon the point of death, I hear; and there he sat alone.  Quite alone in the world, I do believe."

This statement is made by the husband of Belle, Scrooge's former fiance.  He has just seen Scrooge toiling away in his office while Marley is dying at home.  Of course, Scrooge is alone.  By this point in his life, Scrooge has pushed away everyone who ever loved him.  He is by himself, depends only on his own resources for security and so-called happiness.  As Belle's husband says, Scrooge is alone, quite alone in the world.

The reason I chose this little passage is that I have noticed an alarming trend with this blog.  My readership is down.  For the past four or five months, I have been averaging over 10.000 hits a month.  This month, I will be lucky if I even approach that number.  I'm not sure what the cause of this decline is.  Perhaps I have written something offensive.  Perhaps my disciples are getting tired of my constant need for acceptance and appreciation.  Perhaps I have turned people off with my political humor.  (For the record, my friends are Republicans and Democrats, and we exchange good-natured insults all day long.)  Perhaps it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the change of seasons or weather or maybe the full moon.

Whatever the reason, I am feeling alone, quite alone in the world, and I don't like it.  Saint Marty will never be named a Blog of Note if this decline in readership continues.  So, I am trying to figure out how to stem the tide, so to speak.  I will do practically anything for my audience.  I will even post a picture of myself in a compromising position.  (Yes, I will wear a Mitt Romney tee-shirt, if I have to.  I will even go that far.)  Just let me know what I can do, or not do, to get your vote.

This country needs Saint Marty.

I am Saint Marty, and I approved  this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment