Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March 28: Norma Rae, Jimmy Hoffa, JFK

I didn't mean to go all Norma Rae on you guys this morning.  It's just that I've been doing this adjunct work for so long (close to 20 years), and I really had hopes that this whole union thing was going to make a difference.  At this point, it seems I was wrong.  I should have known better.  In the end, every person looks out for him/herself.  I'm no different in this respect.  I shouldn't expect any form of altruism on the part of full-time faculty.  We adjuncts are like the humpbacked, club-footed, three-breasted stepchildren of the university.  We should feel honored that we're even allowed to stand in a classroom.

OK, I got carried away again.  I'm reeling myself back in.  I promise.  I'm really not the bastard son of Jimmy Hoffa, trying to fight for the "little gal/guy."  I don't know where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.  I don't know who shot JFK on the grassy knoll.

I'll tell you what I do know.  I know that, at the present moment, it appears things aren't really going to change all that much for the adjunct faculty at the university.

That fact depresses Saint Marty.

This isn't me.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment