Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 14: Unprofitable Dream, Happy in the Life, Letting Go

"You may--the memory of what is past half makes me hope you will--have pain in this.  A very, very brief time, and you will dismiss the recollection of it, gladly, as an unprofitable dream, from which it happened well that you awoke.  May you be happy in the life you have chosen!"

Belle, Scrooge's fiancee, makes this statement to Scrooge as she breaks off their engagement.  The sentiment expressed is a little melodramatic, but, nonetheless, heartbreaking.  She's wishing Scrooge happiness, even though she's walking away from their relationship.  Of course, the reasons Belle is walking away are legitimate.  Scrooge is turning/has turned into a bastard.  Greedy.  Cruel.  Cold.  Basically, he's Newt Gingrich with an English accent.  I can't blame Belle for walking away from that.

I have a hard time reading/watching/listening to these kinds of scenes in books/TV shows/movies.  Even when I see the breakup scene between Belle and Scrooge in The Muppet Christmas Carol, I can turn into a weeping mess, and it's the friggin' Muppets!  I think my sensitivity to these moments stems from the problems I've experienced in my marriage.  I've been through a few tough times because of my wife's bipolar and addiction.  That's why even the Muppets can rip the BandAid off old wounds and make me bleed a little.

Of course, I wish I could let go of these emotions.  Sometimes, I almost get to the point where I've built up immunity to breakup moments, and then I watch a movie or read a novel that has a painful scene in it.  I'm right back in the swamps again, crying like Mary Tyler Moore in a bad pair of Capris.

I've been recently obsessed with the TV show Smash.  I love everything about the program.  The premise.  The music.  The dancing.  The characters.  In the last episode, Debra Messing's character, who is a writer, happily married, and successful, had an affair.  As I was watching the sex scene between Messing and the guy playing her lover,  I found myself getting angry, sad, depressed, angry again, sad again.  I was experiencing emotions I hadn't felt since the last crisis in my marriage.  It was horrible.  I had to get up off the couch and leave the room.

I don't like Debra Messing anymore, and I've been a fan of hers since Will & Grace.  I know, I know.  It's just a character, just a show.  But I can't make that distinction right now.  It's a little too painful to watch.  Dredges up so much crap from my life.

Letting go isn't as easy as it sounds.  Just when I think I've overcome hurts from my past, Debra Messing comes along and screws it up.  Maybe I should be like my three-year-old son, stick to episodes of SpongeBob Squarepants and Curious George.  It would be my luck, though, that SpongeBob marries Sandy Squirrel and Sandy ends up having an affair with Patrick.

Saint Marty just can't win.


Watch and weep like Rizzo the Rat

No comments:

Post a Comment