Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 20: Light Hearts, Debt, Getting Ahead

"To whom will our debt be transferred?"

"I don't know.  But before that time we shall be ready with the money; and even though we were not, it would be bad fortune indeed to find so merciless a creditor in his successor.  We may sleep to-night with light hearts, Caroline!"

Yeah, I know.  I've focused on this passage before. You're probably sick of hearing about Caroline and her husband.  Even though their little part in A Christmas Carol takes up less than half a page, I find myself returning to it yet again this morning.  It's a pretty universal struggle--a young couple worrying over their finances.  At least Caroline and her spouse (let's call him Bob, since he's never named in the book) have a chance of avoiding debtors' prison and the poor house.  In this scene, Bob has returned with the news that Scrooge has shuffled off this mortal coil.  Caroline and Bob celebrate.  They are saved by Scrooge's demise.

Since I heard the news about my wife's untimely termination yesterday morning, I've pretty much been in full Caroline-Bob mode.  I didn't sleep with a light heart last night.  In fact, I didn't sleep much at all.  I gave into all my worries and fears.  I put on a happy face for my poor wife, who was dealing with enough shit (low self esteem, failure, etc.).  In the early morning hours, however, Scrooge came home to roost, and, as a result, my ass is dragging.

I have no wisdom to impart.  I don't feel particularly witty.  I'd like to say something profound about faith and hope and attitude.  Ain't gonna happen today.  Just when it feels like I can relax a little, like I'm getting ahead, I'm back in quicksand.

Saint Marty is tired.  Saint Marty is worried.  Saint Marty is not feeling very saintly.

Is that my ass I see behind me?


No comments:

Post a Comment