Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 14: Anniversary, Hello from the Kalahari, Long Day

Yes, I'm posting live from the Business Center of the Kalahari Resort in the Wisconsin Dells.  Not that anybody really cares, judging by the fact that Saint Marty has only received about 11 views so far today, and it's about 11:30 p.m.  Not that I'm complaining or anything.

At the moment, I have a surly Kalahari employee glaring at me.  They advertise that this computer room is open 24 hours, but it was closed and locked when I got here.  We had to phone the front desk to get it opened.  Therefore, the gentleman who unlocked the room is not very happy with me.  But I'm pretty tired and grumpy myself, so we make a good couple.

We got here around 4 p.m.  We took our time.  There was really no reason to get here early.  The Dance Convention doesn't begin until tomorrow morning.  As I sit here typing this post, the hotel staff is setting up the rooms for the classes across the hall.  I nearly got lost finding this place, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to find my way back to my room. 

This afternoon, when I wandered around a little bit to get the lay of the land, so to speak, I got chased down the hallway by a grey-haired man with a German accent.

"Can I help you, sir?" said German employee.

"I was looking for the computer center," said I.

"Oh, yah, ve have zat just down zis hallvay, zen turn left," he said with a smile.  I was half expecting him to click his heels.

"Thank you very much," I said.

The German man nodded and disappeared quickly.  I told my wife when I got back to the room that I thought the Kalahari was harboring Nazi fugitives.  She laughed at me, but I've been on the lookout for Mossad agents all evening long.

Today is also my 16th wedding anniversary.  My wife and I can't really afford to buy each other presents this year.  This trip has to suffice as our gift to each other.  It's a pretty expensive gift.  I wished my wife a happy anniversary this morning before we left home.  I will kiss her goodnight when I get back to the hotel room after I'm done with this blog post.  That's the extent of the romance this year, unfortunately.  Hard to get really passionate with your spouse when you're bunking with your ten-year-old daughter, three-year-old son, and your sister.

My daughter starts dancing at 7:45 tomorrow morning and goes until about 4 p.m.  She is going to be really tired by the end of the day.  Then she wants to play laser tag with a group of girls from her dance school.  I wonder how much money that's going to put me back.

Saint Marty isn't complaining.  Really.  He's just nervous about any Gestapo agents who may be lurking around.
Keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut

No comments:

Post a Comment