Thursday, September 12, 2013

September 12: A Confession

I have a confession.

Remember how, at the end of my second post on September 11, I said I just wanted to go to sleep for ten years?  Go ahead, scroll back to that post.  Read it.  I'll wait...

Are you up to speed?  Okay.

Well, last night I did something really stupid.  I don't know if it was because I was upset or distracted.  I don't know if I was simply tired beyond common sense.  But I went to bed last night without testing my blood sugar.  I never do that.

I woke up at about 1 a.m. today to find two strange people in my bedroom.  They came on the ambulance my wife had to call because I was having seizures in bed.  When my blood sugar gets incredibly low, a few things happen.  First, I sweat so much I soak the bed like a 90-year-old man with bladder issues.  Second, I have convulsions.  And third...I can't remember what the third thing is.  (Yes, that's my lame attempt at humor.  The third thing is that I don't remember anything leading up to the EMS people at my bedside.)

Well, after an IV of glucose, a peanut butter sandwich, and a glass of milk, I crawled back into my drenched bed and went to sleep for a few more hours.  Then I got up and went to work.  I figured I might as well get paid for having an all-day headache.

The thing that frightens me is that I'm not sure why I forgot to test my blood sugar.  It's like brushing my teeth.  I always do it.  Maybe I really did follow through on some unconscious death wish last night.  I've been pushing through mud all day as a result. 

Rest assured, tonight I will be testing my blood sugar before I crawl into bed.

Saint Marty doesn't want any visitors in the middle of the night.

I have no death wish tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment