Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29: The Burning Question, Still Sick, New Job

I know a lot of my faithful disciples have a burning question that I've been avoiding for the last couple of weeks.  It's generally not my style to avoid any subject in this blog.  I pretty much confront issues head-on.  This particular issue, however, has been dogging me ever since I finished my Christmas essay a week or so ago.

So, no more dodging reporters and paparazzi.  I will now answer the question that has been plaguing all of my cyber fans for weeks now.  Go ahead and ask it:  When are you going to write another friggin' poem?

Time to come clean

Now, if you will just get those cameras out of my face and pull all those mics back a little, I would like to make an official statement:

Saint Marty realizes that he has been remiss in his duties as official blog poet.  He apologizes for any harm this absence may have caused any of his loyal disciples.  He would like to assure his fans that he has not abandoned poetry.  It still remains his first love.  However, Saint Marty has had to take some time to deal with other, personal issues.  He hopes, in the next day or so, to be back at his journal, writing a new poem.  He thanks all of his followers for their patience and kindness during this difficult time.  And now, Saint Marty will take some questions.  You, down in the front.

Is it true that you've been battling some kind of illness?

Yes, I have been sick these last few weeks.  As you can tell by my voice, I'm still sick.  I'm hoping that I've turned a corner and will start mending soon, but that has been a contributing factor to my absence from poetry.  Next question, please.

Reports state that your wife has started a new job.  Has that also been keeping you away from writing poetry?

It is true that my wife has just started substitute teaching for a local Headstart program.  However, she just began this employment, so its effects on my writing are still up in the air.  But I'm excited for my wife and family.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.  Are there any more questions?

Do you have any idea what your next poem will be about when you get back to work?

That's a really good question.  I make it a policy to not talk too much about a project that's in the process of being written.  However, I can tell you that I have been thinking about my annual Christmas poem and a few other poems.  But, right now, it's just too early to go into details.  I have time for one more question.

Is it true that you still harbor bad feelings about not being chosen as the recipient of this year's Nobel Prize in Literature?

While I was disappointed at the Swedish Academy's decision to not honor my work, I have tried to move past this setback.  Again, I'm dealing with many issues (illness and teaching and financial difficulty and chocolate shortages).  The Nobel Prize in Literature is just one of many pots on my burners.  Thanks you all for coming to my press conference.  Please, become one of my official disciples before you leave the blog.

With that brief statement and press conference, Saint Marty retreats from the spotlight once more, with promises to his legions of fans that he is still working on poetry.  We wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment