Saturday, November 26, 2011

November 26: Hanging the Greens, Rain, and New Cartoon

I've spent most of the day at church, getting ready for tomorrow's Hanging of the Greens service.  For my Catholic readers, hanging of the greens is the time in Protestant denominations when the church family gets together and decorates the church for the Christmas season.  Since I became the Catholic worship team leader at my wife's Methodist church, I've been pretty much in charge of hanging those greens.

As the years have gone by, fewer and fewer people have shown up on the Saturday following Thanksgiving to deck them halls.  Therefore, this year, I decided to make the First Sunday of Advent a Hanging of the Greens service.  I figure that if people won't show up for the decorating, the decorating will show up for them.  Of course, the service has turned into a lot more work than I expected, including my five hours at the church today.  We'll see how it goes over tomorrow morning.

It has been raining in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan since I woke up this morning.  It's still coming down hard and fast.  I'll take rain over snow any day.  However, this kind of dreary weather makes my mood a little dark.  I was quite frustrated yesterday with many aspects of my life, and I'm still feeling that today.  I've been trying to change my attitude, but it isn't working too well for me.  The weather is not helping.  And I still have to go play the organ for Mass at my church.  God help anybody who gets in my way.

I do have a new cartoon for you this evening, in keeping with the season.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment