Wednesday, November 16, 2011

November 16: Thanksgiving Potluck, Pecan Pie, Poetry

Today at work, we are having our annual Thanksgiving potluck.  That means that we prepare a full turkey dinner with all the fixings.  A turkey will be broasting in the break room all morning long, filling the entire floor of the building with scents to make your mouth and eyes water with joy.  It's one of my favorite days of the year.

My contribution to this little feast is a home-made pecan pie.  That's right.  Yours truly made a pie last night.  Pecan is my specialty, and, I must say, my pie turned out great.  It's so perfect that it will almost be a crime to slice into it.  The fluting of the crust is beautiful, and the pecans baked to a perfect, sugary brown.  This pie is enough to make Christopher Hitchens believe in God.

Aside from the potluck, my other focus today is getting a poem written.  I have been working on that Christmas essay for so long, I think my poetic muscles have atrophied.  I will flex them today to see what shows up.  Hopefully, I'll have something decent for my disciples this afternoon.  If not today, definitely tomorrow.

Yes, Saint Marty is back in the game, folks.  And he's hungry for mashed potatoes.

A gift from God

No comments:

Post a Comment