Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14: Productive Morning, God's Work, Doing My Best

I got up early this morning to get some work done that I didn't finish last night.  So far, I've had a really productive day.  I typed up and e-mailed an assignment to my Good Books class.  I typed up devotions for our church's Advent devotional and e-mailed those, as well.  I've said my prayers, read my devotions, and have my to-do list compiled for the day.  I'm way ahead of the game.  It's all downhill from here, I'm sure.

In books about leading a Christian life, I've read how everything you do during the day should further God's work on this planet.  I'm sure I don't follow this rubric all the time.  I once tried to pray for every patient I registered for surgery.  That lasted about three patients, and then a cranky, old bastard sat in my chair and proceeded to share his particular brand of venom with me.  Of course, I sat there and smiled and maintained my professionalism.  When I was done registering him, however, I said to myself, "That son of a bitch can pray for himself."  Not very Christian, I know.

The work I do every day is of a very secular nature.  In my medical office, there is a Gideon Bible sitting on one of the end tables.  I always make sure it's in a noticeable place, but people rarely pick it up to read.  They let their kids play with it.  I also teach at a public university.  Any mention of God or Jesus or a higher power in the classroom must be framed in a proper academic discussion.  The first time I taught Good Books, I chose works by challenging writers of a Christian bent.  Flannery O'Connor.  Kathleen Norris.  Toni Morrison.  That semester, I received the worst student evaluations I've ever had in my teaching career.  My department head told me, "More sex, drugs, and rock and roll next semester."

Flannery O'Connor = Bad Evaluations
Trying to live a Christian life is not easy today, but Jesus never said it was going to be.  I mean, they crucified Him for talking about love and respect and forgiveness.  Me, I get rotten student reviews and hostile patients.  But I'm not going to give up on trying to spread a little goodness around the world.  That's why I chose books about mental illness for my Good Books class this semester:  to educate and foster understanding and compassion.  Without once mentioning His name, I think Jesus is with me every day.  (He may not be too happy with my language at times, but it's all for the greater good.)

That's the extent of my wisdom today.  I'm just doing my best.  That's all I can do, every day.

Saint Marty, leader of a quiet Christian rebellion.

No comments:

Post a Comment