Thursday, November 24, 2011

November 24: Giving Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving night.

For all of my readers who may not know about or understand the American holiday of Thanksgiving, let me give you a brief explanation.

Basically, it always falls on the fourth Thursday of November, and it, supposedly, commemorates a meal that the first pilgrims to this New World had with Native Americans, celebrating harvest and home and friends.  Of course, this image of the first Thanksgiving is largely a crock of shit. 

Nowadays, Thanksgiving is a day to get together with loved ones, eat a huge turkey dinner with all the fixings (mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, cranberry sauce, pumpkin and pecan pies), and give thanks for all of the blessings in your life.

In keeping with the spirit of this holiday, I'm going to make a list of things I'm thankful for:

  1. My family (wife, daughter, and son)
  2. My extended family (mother, father, sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, in-laws)
  3. My friends (that includes Wonder Twin, my partner at the Turkey Trot this morning)
  4. My home (even if it's too small and has only one bathroom)
  5. My health and the health of my loved ones
  6. My jobs that allow me to pay my bills
  7. My writing
  8. My faith in God (as flawed as it is)
  9. My wife's good mental health and recovery from addiction
  10. My future iPad2 (yes, I had to go there)
In truth, I could go on forever about all of the things I'm thankful for.  I didn't even touch my favorite kinds of chocolate, which could be its very own blog.  Each breath I take is a gift.  Each moment of each day (both good and bad) is a gift to be celebrated.

Lastly, Saint Marty gives thanks for you, whoever you are, reading these words right now.  May God bless you as He has blessed Saint Marty so abundantly.

Norman Rockwell got it right, less the family dysfunction

No comments:

Post a Comment