Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June 5: "The Secret Goldfish," Nature Essay, Contest Worries

...He used to be just a regular writer, when he was home.  He wrote this terrific book of short stories, The Secret Goldfish, in case you never heard of him.  The best one in it was "The Secret Goldfish."  It was about this little kid that wouldn't let anybody look at his goldfish because he'd bought it with his own money.  It killed me...

D.B., Holden's brother, is a writer.  We learn this within the first paragraph of Catcher.  However, Holden's a little disappointed with D.B.  D.B. has sold his soul to Hollywood and is writing for the movie industry.  Holden's thinks his brother is wasting his talents.

Writers are a neurotic bunch.  I include myself in this statement.  Writers tend to obsess about things like pronoun usage and comma placement.  As I said, we're weird.

I'm sorry that this post is going to be short once more.  I had to finish my nature essay for the writing contest today.  Not to fear.  The essay is done and on its way to the judges.  Now I have to play the waiting game.  I'm going to be waiting for a while on this one.  At least until August.

I'm not a very patient waiter.  I don't know if that's evident, but I want to be very honest here.

Of course, right after I put the envelope in the mail for this contest, I reread the essay and found things I wanted to change.  Small things that probably only bug me.  I had to put it away.

That's my worry for this Wednesday.  Contests.  (I have the poetry chapbook competition to worry about, as well, but I've been able to put that one out of my head for a while.  Come the end of this month, however, I will be a basket case.)

I totally have to let go.  I can't do anything about it now.  It's in God's hands now.  Well, His and the judges' hands.

Saint Marty isn't great at letting go.

This is pretty accurate


No comments:

Post a Comment