Monday, June 3, 2013

June 3: Sharing Lunch, Good Day, Magic 8-Ball Monday

I just ate the best lunch in the world.  It wasn't because of the food, which was leftover moo goo gai pan and bratwurst.  It was because I was sharing that food with a good friend.

I know that sounds corny.  However, I don't enjoy Mondays usually, and I really don't enjoy cold Mondays in June.  There's nothing to look forward to on Monday except four more days of work.  That may sound a little defeatist or pessimistic, but it's true.  When I packed up my lunch this morning, it didn't look that appetizing to me.  In fact, I seriously considered leaving it at home and taking my chances with the contents of the refrigerator at work.  I didn't.

The coworker/friend I shared my lunch with is a single mom.  She has a daughter a couple of years younger than my daughter.  She shares my opinions about politics and social issues, and she's funny as hell.  (OK, that sentence could have come right out of Holden Caulfield's mouth.  I think I'm overdosing on Salinger.)  Generally, she doesn't let the vicissitudes of life get her down.  She stays pretty positive.  In fact, she sort of makes me feel guilty over whining about my own lot.  I need more people like this friend in my life, to keep me honest.

I wasn't impressed with the moo goo gai pan on Friday.  It was bland and more than a little watery.  Today, it tasted great, even though it was three days old.  It was the communal eating of it that made the difference.  That and the bratwurst and Milky Way chaser that accompanied it.

People, good people, really do make a difference.  A good friend can change leftover Chinese into prime rib, or at least a breast from KFC.  I was lucky enough to learn that today, and I'm very grateful.

My Magic 8-Ball question for today is an extension of this emotion:

Will my whole week be filled with gratitude?

And the answer of Holden Caulfield is:

"Yes I do.  Yes I do.  Sure I do.  Don't say that.  Why the hell do you say that?"

There you go.  In the space of five short sentences, Holden says "yes" and "sure" three times.

Saint Marty is going to be showered with things to be grateful for this week.

It ain't filet mignon, but it was really good

No comments:

Post a Comment