Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 15: Another Miracle, Everyday Miracles, New Cartoon

Next morning, Wilbur arose and stood beneath the web.  He breathed the morning air into his lungs.  Drops of dew, catching the sun, made the web stand out clearly.  When Lurvy arrived with breakfast, there was the handsome pig, and over him, woven neatly in block letters, was the TERRIFIC.  Another miracle.

Charlotte's Web is about miracles.  A goose hatching eggs.  A spider spinning a web.  Dew glistening in early morning sunlight.  The kind of miracles that happen every day.  The kind of miracles that are easy to overlook or ignore.


After the fresh snow of yesterday, my part of the world is so white that it hurts the eyes.  When I stepped outside this morning, I paused a moment on my front step.  I just stood there and looked around at how everything looked so clean and pure.  Almost scrubbed.

I don't pause like that often enough.  On my way to work every morning, I rarely look into the sky at the stars and moon.  As I walk across campus on my way to teach, I don't notice how the air tastes like a drink of cold water.  At night, as I lie in bed, waiting for sleep, I'm not listening to the drum of my heart, steady, constant as candles in a dark church.

Perhaps if I did take the time to be aware of these small, daily miracles, I would be a calmer, happier person.  Maybe the whole world would be a better place if everyone took miracle breaks every day.  Take time to pick up a seashell on a beach or listen to wind in pine trees.  Certainly, it would be more difficult to hate or hurt in a world full of miracles.

And who doesn't like a good miracle?

Saint Marty sure does.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment