Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3: Trying to Remain Positive, Thoughts About Jobs

I've been thinking a lot today about writing and publishing and teaching and trying to remain positive.

It really seems that the only way people get hired at the English Department full-time is if they have tons of publications (or at least one or two really impressive ones).  Most of my non-academic friends don't understand that it's not just a matter of submitting a cover letter and vita and landing an interview.  There're phone interviews.  There're portfolios.  There're campus visits with presentations and classroom teaching demonstrations.  Plus, there's always three or four other candidates with more impressive vitas than yours.

My good friend who was just hired this year by the university has four books under his belt.  He just had his fifth book published last fall.  Really impressive.  Also really depressing.  I wouldn't stand a chance against a guy like him.

However, I'm trying to remain positive.  About writing.  About publishing.  About jobs.  I've got my new book of poems submitted to another contest at the moment.  I'm just waiting for the rejection letter/e-mail to come my way.  (For some reason, receiving a rejection by e-mail is the most esteem-crushing experience I've had.  It says to me that I'm not even worth the cost of a first class postage stamp.)  I still might win.  I might.  There's always a chance.

Saint Marty is trying to remain positive.

Right now, it's perish for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment