Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3: "Carol" Dip, Questoin on Memoir, Problem With Memoir

I'm at a loss for subject matter this morning.  My mind's a blank, which really isn't that surprising.  Long-time disciples of this blog know that I frequently write about absolutely nothing at all.  But, I did promise a return to A Christmas Carol this morning.  Therefore, I've decided to use my old standby:  the Carol dip.

For a while, I couldn't even think of a decent question to ask.  I had to settle for a mediocre question.  It touches upon my insecurities about writing memoir.  I think most people who write memoirs do so because they've had a disease or a horrible childhood filled with physical or sexual abuse.  Those are the kinds of memoirs that are sexy, that people want to read.  I don't think my life has been quite that compelling.  Hence, my question for today:

Should I finish my memoir?  Is it any good?

And the answer from Scrooge and Dickens is:

"You recollect the way?" inquired the Spirit.

"Remember it!" cried Scrooge with fervour--"I could walk it blindfold."

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that answer.  The passage is all about memory and the past.  I'm going to take it as a positive response.  I'm mean, Scrooge is positively gleeful at this point in the narrative, seeing all of his childhood friends.  The past is treating Scrooge well.  That means that the past is going to treat me well.   I should finish my memoir, and what I have written is good.

Yes, it may seem like I'm pulling this stuff out of my ass.  However, I started this post without anything to say, and now I have a post.  Plus, I feel good about myself and my writing.  (It would still be nice to have reactions from some readers out there about the memoir sections I've already posted.)

I will continue Project Memoir.  I will probably be working on it all summer long.  Be prepared.  The idea for this book has been with me for a few years.  I think the time has arrived for it to come to fruition.

Saint Marty is getting his act together and taking it on the memoir road.

This is the book I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment