Sunday, October 13, 2013

October 12: Ballet and All, Dance Convention, My Daughter

"She's a dancer," I said.  "Ballet and all.  She used to practice about two hours every day, right in the middle of the hottest weather and all..."

Jane Gallagher, the love of Holden's young life, is a dancer.  It's one of the first things we learn about Jane.  Well, that and the fact that Holden's roommate, Stradlater, is going on a date with her.  I don't know if Holden ever provides a physical description of Jane--hair color, eye color, etc.  I've always pictured her with auburn hair and brown eyes.  Lots of freckles across her nose and cheeks.  Tall and thin, with dancer's legs.  Basically, Jane is an older version of my daughter.

I spent the day watching my daughter dance.  Hip hop.  Tap.  Ballet.  Hip hop again.  I followed her from class to class here at the Kalahari Resort.  She worked her little butt off.  I'm always amazed when I see her dance.  She's confident and graceful.  Sometimes, I marvel that I had something to do in the making of this beautiful creature.  My daughter.

That's all Saint Marty has to say tonight.  He's a proud daddy.

P. S. Sorry.  No poem or cartoons this weekend.

Jane Gallagher.  I mean, my daughter in the Wisconsin Dells

No comments:

Post a Comment