Friday, January 6, 2012

January 6: Scrooge Moment, Dentist Appointment, Cleaning

A Scrooge moment.  Cover your eyes!
Yes, I had a Scrooge moment this afternoon.  It was when my wife and I sat down and started subtracting amounts from our checking account.  Car payment.  Groceries.  Water bill.  Dance tuition.  I saw the deposit from my paycheck dwindle and ebb.  By the time we were done, I had to transfer money from our savings to cover everything, and there ain't that much in savings.

I started to panic, hyperventilate, and sputter.  I became Ebenezer Scrooge.  This week of vacation suddenly seemed like a colossal waste of money, especially when I could have been earning some overtime.  I wasn't a pretty sight. 

Before I left for my dentist appointment, my wife said to me, "You better be careful.  You really are going to turn into Scrooge."  I wish I'd been witty enough to say, "Bah humbug" or "God bless us, everyone."  I don't really recall what my response was.  It was probably something like, "Yeah, well, yeah."

Then I went and had my teeth cleaned.  It seemed an appropriate way to end the afternoon.  And, actually, it did brighten my frame of mind substantially.  I really like the people at my dentist office.  The hygienist and I talk about books.  The receptionist and I joke around.  The dentist could make a root canal enjoyable.  By the time I left, my teeth were sparkling, and my mood had greatly improved.

I spent a good portion of what was left of the afternoon cleaning my house, which hasn't been cleaned in almost two weeks, with the holidays and everything.  Cleaning generally puts me in a good mood, as well.  I did break my Swiffer in the process.  That kind of sucked.  For the most part, however, I have recovered from my Scrooge moment.

Saint Marty is ready for the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. There is no way ANY dentist could make a root canal enjoyable (unless, of course, it is done under general anesthesia. A perfect visit to the dentist's office is going to get my teeth cleaned and my dentist is out of the office for the day. That way, he can't come in, examine my teeth with that lovely needle instrument and poke and prod until I hear him say, "Let me look at her x-rays." Then....I start to really worry. I sit in that chair with my fingers clenched around the arm rests leaving permanent imprints in them. Now, you all know my worst phobia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After experiencing toothache, I understand now the importance of having a regular check up for our dentist. I guess everyone would agree here.

    dentist melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its' a good thing that you cleaned your teeth. Dental hygiene is something very important. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete