Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2: On Vacation, Snow Storm, Quiet

It is around 6:30 a.m., and I’m wide awake.  I’m a little pissed about the fact that I can’t get back to sleep.  I was planning on being incredibly lazy today.  I was going to stay in bed until my three-year-old son woke me up.  Then I was going to move to my recliner and sit with my son in my lap for another hour or so.  Then I was going to get up and make him breakfast, change his diaper, and be an attentive parent.  Then I was going to climb back into the recliner for a little while longer before I got him dressed.  Then, maybe, if I felt like it, I was going to take and shower and get cleaned up myself.  The way I had it figured, this little plan would have taken me until around 11 a.m.
No such luck.  My internal alarm clock only let me sleep a couple hours past my normal time.  Now, I’m sitting in my recliner, typing this post on my laptop.  I won’t be able to upload it until I get to a place with WiFi, but I wanted to make use of the quiet I have at the moment.  My house rarely gets still.  With one really young child and an almost teenage girl under the roof, I’m lucky if I can go to the bathroom without someone knocking on the door or barging in.  As a writer, I value this lack of noise and distraction.
Last night, we were supposed to get around eight to ten inches of snow.  The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning.  I just stepped onto my front porch to survey the damage Mother Nature had wreaked on my front yard.  Not much going on out there.  We got a little snow overnight, but not the massive white dumping that was being predicted.  The warning is in effect until like 1 a.m. tomorrow morning.  We still might receive a considerable amount of snow, the kind that muffles the entire world, as if everything’s been wrapped in heavy wool or cotton.  I’m hoping the storm has blown over us or around us or under us.  Any direction that takes it away from us.
Me and my little distraction
By the way, my quiet time is now over.  My son is awake.  The TV is on, some cartoon show about guys who can transform into wild animals.  One of the characters is currently half Tasmanian devil, and not the Looney Tunes kind of Taz.  It’s kind of a stupid show, but it teaches kids about different animals around the world.
My day has begun.  I only have one real obligation today.  I’m meeting with my pastor and members of my worship team to plan next Sunday’s service.  Epiphany Sunday.  Magi.  Revelation.  A blazing star.  It’s one of my favorite parts of the Jesus narrative.  That meeting’s around noon-thirty.  Other than that, it’s going to be a pretty lazy day.
Maybe I can talk my wife into going to McDonald’s this morning.  That will allow me to post to my blog.  On Wednesday, my WiFi should be activated, and I can avoid all of the extra steps of getting something uploaded.
Saint Marty needs to snuggle with his son now.

No comments:

Post a Comment