Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23: Carol Dipping Again, Ice Storm, Teaching

Well, this morning, as soon as I got moving, I decided to try Carol dipping one more time.  I thought it was an interesting exercise yesterday afternoon, and it yielded some thoughtful reflection on my part (plus a good comment).

So, this morning, my question was:  Will my teaching go well today?

The answer from A Christmas Carol was:

"Well!  Never mind so long as you are come," said Mrs. Cratchit.  "Sit ye down before the fire, my dear, and have a warm, Lord bless ye!"

Mrs. Cratchit makes this statement to her oldest daughter, Martha, on Christmas Day.  Martha, it appears, lives and works outside the Cratchit home.  Martha explains to her mother about the work that caused her to be late for Christmas dinner, and Mrs. Cratchit gives the above response.

Now, the dilemma is how to interpret this answer to my question.  Of course, the obvious interpretation is that, as long as I show up, my teaching will go well, and I should just sit down and relax a little.  I do like that attitude.  I tend to become a little too tense about teaching, worrying about lesson plans and readings, preparing and preparing again.  The best classes I've ever taught were the ones where I just stepped into the room with a vague plan about what I wanted to accomplish.  I'm on my toes, and the students are engaged.

Care to have a warm with me?
The other, more appropriate, interpretation (at the moment) is that I shouldn't worry about teaching.  Classes were cancelled at the university a few minutes ago due to an ice storm.  Therefore, I should just sit down before the fire and have a warm, as Mrs. Cratchit says.  I like that answer a little better.

My day has suddenly opened up.  No teaching.  No university office hours.  No school for my kids.  No religion or dance classes for my daughter.  I am considerably free of obligations today.  Not free of work, but of obligations.

Saint Marty is going to have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment