Thursday, December 6, 2018

December 6: That One Passion, Poetry Workshop, Charlie Brown and Charles Dickens

Though, consumed with the hot fire of his purpose, Ahab in all his thoughts and actions ever had in view the ultimate capture of Moby Dick; though he seemed ready to sacrifice all mortal interests to that one passion . . . 

It is an evening of passions for me.  In about a half hour, I head off to lead my poetry workshop.  It's one of my favorite nights of the month.  I get to talk about poetry, read poetry, write poetry, share poetry.  And people actually want to listen to what I have to say about poetry.  That doesn't happen as often as I would like.

And then, after that two or so hours of poesy, I plan to come home and work on my Christmas essay for a couple hours.  I haven't devoted nearly enough time to that project.  I must go at it in earnest this weekend.  I've been doing quite a bit of research for it, however.  Reading two books on the life of Charles Schulz.  Listening to podcasts on Snoopy and Charlie Brown.  Not sure how it's all going to come together yet.  We'll see.

As I sit here typing this post, I'm watching the film The Man Who Invented Christmas, another one of my current passions.  I love this movie.  It fills me with the urge to write.  Of course, Charles Dickens has been one of my passions since I was quite young.  I have a 1,200-page biography of Dickens that I've read four or five times.  If I believed in reincarnation, I would say that I was Charles Dickens in a former life.

So, that's what's in my head tonight--poetry, Charles Schulz, Charlie Brown, and Charles Dickens.

Saint Marty is grateful for inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment