Sunday, December 23, 2018

December 23: Mary Oliver, "Christmas Poem," Tips Toward Christmas

Christmas Poem

by:  Mary Oliver

Says a country legend told every year:
Go to the barn on Christmas Eve and see
what the creatures do as that long night tips over.
Down on their knees they will go, the fire
of an old memory whistling through their minds!
[So] I went. Wrapped to my eyes against the cold
I creaked back the barn door and peered in.
From town the church bells spilled their midnight music,
and the beasts listened –
yet they lay in their stalls like stone.

Oh the heretics!
Not to remember Bethlehem,
or the star as bright as a sun,
or the child born on a bed of straw!
To know only of the dissolving Now!
Still they drowsed on –
citizens of the pure, the physical world,
they loomed in the dark: powerful
of body, peaceful of mind,
innocent of history.
Brothers! I whispered. It is Christmas!
And you are no heretics, but a miracle,
immaculate still as when you thundered forth
on the morning of creation!
As for Bethlehem, that blazing star
still sailed the dark, but only looked for me.
Caught in its light, listening again to its story,
I curled against some sleepy beast, who nuzzled
my hair as though I were a child, and warmed me
the best it could all night.
_______________________________________

A poem from Mary Oliver as the world is tips toward Christmas.

I am trying to prepare, to fill my heart with anticipation and joy instead of worry and stress.  It's a struggle this year.  I've caught myself up in the frenzy.  It doesn't help that, in a little over a week, I'm getting on an airplane and heading to Florida for ten days.  I'm totally unprepared for that, as well.

Saint Marty has failed Advent 101 this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment