Friday, December 21, 2018

December 21: Dusk Descended, Longest Night of the Year, Different Exhaustion

When dusk descended, the whale was still in sight to leeward . . . 

Dusk descended in Calumet around 4:30 or 4:45 p.m., no whale in sight.  The longest night of the year.

Got back to my hotel about an hour ago after a day of rehearsal and an evening of performance.  I had such a good time with all my friends at the Calumet Theatre.  People for whom I've come to care a great deal.  We sang. Acted.  Told some jokes.  As the old saying goes--a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.

Although I'm a little exhausted right now, it's different than the exhaustion I experience after a week of work and teaching.  My normal exhaustion is something that I feel in my bones.  There's not a whole lot of satisfaction in it.  The exhaustion I'm feeling at the moment is the kind your feel after doing something you love to do.  Like if you loved baking and you've spent the day making cheesecakes and sugar cookies.  There's a sense of fulfillment and happiness mixed in with the tired.

Tomorrow, I return to the hectic rush to Christmas.  The shopping, wrapping, possibly baking, and writing.

Tonight, however, Saint Marty is thankful for creating art with some good friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment