Wednesday, December 5, 2018

December 5: His Humanities, A New Life, My Daughter's Birthday

" . . . So goodbye to thee--and wrong not Captain Ahab, because he happens to have a wicked name.  Besides, my boy, he has a wife--not three voyages wedded--a sweet, resigned girl.  Think of that; by that sweet girl that old man had a child:  hold ye then there can be any utter, hopeless harm in Ahab?  No, no, my lad; stricken, blasted, if he be, Ahab has his humanities!"

That is Captain Peleg trying to to convince Ishmael that Ahab has some shred of kindness and gentleness in him.  Peleg uses the fact that Ahab has a wife and child as proof.  A child humanizes any person.

Eighteen years ago, my life completely changed.  On the morning after a winter storm, where the wind whistled and shook cars, a new life was placed in my arms, pink and bawling.  I was terrified and overjoyed.  Staring into the dark eyes of that tiny creature, I had no idea what I was in for.

My daughter turned 18 years old at 7:29 a.m. today.  She is the person who taught me how to be a father.  How to change diapers.  How to warm a bottle of formula.  How to calm nightmare tears.  How to clean a floor full of vomit.  How to put Band-aids on a broken heart.  She made me a better me.

This morning, I sent my daughter a text, saying how proud I was of her.  I should have also thanked her for giving me the opportunity to be her father.  Even though I had no prior experience (aside from taking care of a crazy cocker spaniel), she put all her trust in me.

I'm no Mike Brady or Pa Ingalls.  I'm not even Herman Munster.  I've made tons of mistakes and will probably never win the award for Father of the Year.

But the best part of my day will always be when she comes over to me before she goes to bed.  I always kiss her forehead, and she always says, "I love you, Daddy."

Saint Marty is so thankful today for his beautiful daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment