Saturday, December 1, 2018

December 1: Roger Pfingston, "December," Daughter's Birthday

December

by:  Roger Pfingston

Lodged tight for days
in a corner of the wall,
ladybug can't resist the tree,

crawling now over cold
light, ceramic fruits,
tinsel lamb and sleigh.

Flies out of the tree
to try rum cake on a
plate of caroling cherubs.

Ends up on her back,
wings flared, silly girl
spinning over the kitchen floor.

Later, between the blinds,
tiny bump of silhouette:
a stillness against the falling snow.

_______________________________

The first day of December.

In four days, my daughter will turn 18 years old.  Unbelievable.  I know parents say this all the time, but I have no idea where all this time has gone.  It was just yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital in her yellow bunting.  I was terrified.  I had this tiny, fragile creature to take care of.  Who depended on me for everything.

Eighteen years, gone in a blink.

That's why I chose this poem for today.  It's about the fragility of life in winter.  Color in the middle of blankness.

Saint Marty is grateful for his beautiful ladybug of a daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment