Saturday, December 1, 2018

December 1: Last Things On board, On the Marquee, Everyday Miracles

It was now clear sunrise.  Soon the crew came on board in twos and threes; the riggers bestirred themselves; the mates were actively engaged; and several of the shore people were busy in bringing various last things on board.  Meanwhile Captain Ahab remained invisibly enshrined within his cabin.

Lots of work accomplished in the sunrise aboard the Pequod.  The crew is preparing for its whaling voyage.  Loading in supplies.  Checking rigging, ropes.  Whatever nautical people do in those frantic last moments.

My morning hasn't been quite as busy, but I have already accomplished some work already.  Created a poster for a poetry benefit reading that I'm organizing for December 15.  Now, it's blogging at Burger King.  (Doesn't that sound like a support group?  Join Saint Marty for Blogging at Burger King.)  Afterward, selecting music to play for Mass this evening.  Then, maybe home snow shoveling.  Tonight, it's Christmas movie night with the family.  On the marquee:  the 2015 horror comedy Krampus.  

In between all of that, I will get a start on my next essay, which I have about a week or so to complete.  Got to get 'er done.  I have a direction I'm heading in now.  Now, I just have to follow that star and see where it leads me.  Hopefully, I won't get lost in the desert.  (I wouldn't mind getting lost in the dessert.  Maybe a little eggnog ice cream or a hot fudge sundae.)

Those are my plans.  As the old saying goes, however--the best laid plans of mice and men . . . I'm sure I will not accomplish half of those things.  That's the way it always is.  Good intentions give way to happenstance and obligation.  I know that I may not get the shoveling done.  Probably will only get a paragraph or two written of my Christmas essay.  I accept that.

On weekends, I try to keep myself open to opportunities of grace.  If my daughter wants to play a game of Trivial Pursuit with me, and I have a pile of papers to grade, I will set aside my red pen and play that game.  If my son wants to go see the new Grinch move, I will be in line, buying tickets and popcorn.  If my wife want to go grab a couple drinks and food at a local bar, my order will be gin and tonic with sausage on my half of the pizza.  Grace in the form of love.

That is my lesson today, for myself and anyone reading this post.  Take advantage of the small miracles that come your way.  

Saint Marty is thankful for sausage pizza and Trivial Pursuit and old movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment