Thursday, December 27, 2018

December 27: Experienced Whale Surgeons, Like a Death, Rumor and Innuendo

It should not have been omitted that previous to completely stripping the body of the leviathan, he was beheaded.  Now, the beheading of the sperm whale is a scientific anatomical feat, upon which experienced whale surgeons very much pride themselves:  and not without reason.

I am drawn to this little passage because today was the last day of surgery for the year at the medical office where I work.  For some reason, this fact filled me with melancholy.  Perhaps, it's because so much has been made of the facility closing down these last few months.  The rumors have had us locking our doors on December 31.  So, leaving today felt a little like a death.

As far as I know, I will still have a job in the new year.  There are surgeries scheduled through the month of January, so far.  Many less than normal, however.  The rumors have had an effect on business.  Two of our main surgeons have taken their surgical cases to another hospital.  That's a loss of over a hundred surgeries a month.  That's a lot.

I'm a little stunned how much rumor and innuendo have led to this situation.  The surgeons who will no longer be doing surgery at the facility basically made their decisions based on nothing concrete.  They could be performing operations at the Surgery Center next week and the following week and the week after that.  Instead, based on nothing more than ifs and suppositions, they are sort of pounding coffin nails into my place of work.

Rumor.  It's a terrible thing.  Without one shred of credible proof, rumor can cause a lot of damage.  Lose people jobs.  Close businesses.  This particular rumor is damaging something that my sister built, from blueprints to reality.  She oversaw its day-to-day operation for over 20 years.  In the end, I believe, her dedication to her job killed her.  So I'm taking this turn of events a little personally.

And the thing that bothers me the most, as I've said in a post earlier this autumn, is that the people who work there--doctors, nurses, and scrub techs--are all jumping ship.  I understand the need for self-preservation.  I really do.  However, I also believe in making my decisions based upon verifiable facts.  Not fake news.

When the surgeon left today, he packed up his locker and, as he was leaving, said, "I've enjoyed working here."  The only thing I could say in response to him was "Hope you have a happy new year."

If you can't tell, I'm a little pissed, as well as sad, this evening.  I'm a professional.  Tomorrow, I'll get up, get dressed, and drive to work.  I'll smile at people.  Make jokes.  Get my shit done.  Because that's what I do.  I don't complain.  Or spread untruths.  Or repeat secondhand information.  Because that's unprofessional.

Saint Marty's sister taught him that.


No comments:

Post a Comment