Wednesday, November 27, 2013

November 27: Fairly Christmasy, Turkey Trotting, 10K Torture Worry

It was Monday and all, and pretty near Christmas, and all the stores were open.  So it wasn't too bad walking on Fifth Avenue.  It was fairly Christmasy...

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the United States.  It's a time when family members get together for a turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  Mashed potatoes.  Cranberries.  Corn.  Jell-O molds infused with fruit.  Gravy and stuffing.  Bickering.  Guilt.  Resentments.  Arguments.

And, like Holden says, it's pretty near Christmas.  Another Thanksgiving tradition is Christmas shopping.  People hop in their minivans after stuffing themselves with all that food and head out to Walmart to pick up things like plasma TVs and iPhones and warm socks for their loved ones.

One of my Thanksgiving traditions is running the Turkey Trot in Marquette, Michigan.  It's a 10K race.  I usually run it with one of my best friends.  However, my friend isn't running this year.  I'm on my own.  It's going to be a long six miles.  I haven't been training much, so tomorrow morning might turn into a 10K trip into torture.  My main goal is to finish before the turkey comes out of the oven.

Say a few prayers for Saint Marty tomorrow morning.  He's got many miles to go before he sleeps.  Many miles to go before he sleeps.

Pluck me and call me a butterball

No comments:

Post a Comment