Tuesday, November 26, 2013

November 26: A Big Deal, Pies, Another Prayer of Thanks

We always had the same meal on Saturday nights at Pencey.  It was supposed to be a big deal, because they gave you steak...

Holden isn't too impressed with Pencey's Saturday night steak dinners.  He's not impressed with the steads.  They're hard and dry, he claims.  Of course, Holden never seems satisfied with any part of his life.  Pencey could be serving filet mignon, and he would say it was overcooked or undercooked.  Nothing is a big deal for Holden.


I made two pecan pies tonight.  They're for Thanksgiving.  The whole house smells like vanilla and sugar right now.  When I took them out of the oven, they were bubbling and brown.  We go to two Thanksgiving dinners--one at my parents' house and once at my sister-in-law's house.  Usually by the end of the day, I'm so full I could vomit.  Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not complaining.  I'm not Holden.  Thanksgiving is probably my second-favorite holiday of the year (right behind Christmas).

I like giving thanks, reflecting on the year's blessings.  Yes, 2013 has been a rough year for me and my family.  Lots of challenges.  But those challenges make me appreciate the blessings even more.

Dear God,

Yes, this year has sucked in many ways.  My jobs have sucked.  My finances have sucked.  My son's first three months of kindergarten have pretty much sucked, as well.  I've been handed a lot of lemons these last 365 days.

However, there are always blessings.  Pecan pies.  Poems.  Christmas essays.  New couches.  Warm blankets.  Cool pillows.  Healthy children.  Friends.  Family.  More lemonade than lemons.

Thank you, Lord, for all the lemonade.

Your grateful child,

Saint Marty

I'll take my filet medium rare...

No comments:

Post a Comment