Tuesday, November 12, 2013

November 12: A Little Frightened

I'm a little frightened this evening.

After many years serving as an organist and worship leader at my wife's church, I have a difficult decision to make.  The leaders of the church have recently voted to reduce my salary drastically.  Mind you, I wasn't making a bundle of cash, but it was enough to help pay the mortgage every month.  Without that salary, my budget, which is already stretched to the point of "Ouch!," reaches critical mass.  I won't even be able to bounce from shut-off notice to disconnect notice.  The only thing I'll be bouncing is checks.

I'm disappointed with the church.  Really disappointed.  After ten-plus years of hard work and service, I'm being tossed aside like a used Kleenex.  Or at least that's the way it feels.  I have to send my vita out to local churches and hope that one of them needs an organist/worship planner with 25 years of experience.

I don't deal well with change.  The idea of starting over with a new church makes me want to vomit.  I like my current position.  I like the people, the pastor, the job.  Unfortunately, I have to face reality, and that reality is simple:

Saint Marty needs to pay his bills.

I know how these guys feel

No comments:

Post a Comment