Thursday, November 28, 2013

November 28: Counting My Blessings

Yes, I'm going to talk about blessings one more time tonight.  After all, I've just spent a day giving thanks with family and friends.  Breaking bread and all that jazz.  I'm up to my eyeballs with gratitude.

I heard writer Anne Lamott on the radio this afternoon, speaking about gratitude.  She said that gratitude isn't passive; it's a verb, something that requires work.  It might be something as simple as making a cup of tea for a friend, taking time to show interest in her life.  Or it could be something a little tougher than that.  Serving a turkey dinner at a homeless shelter.  Shoveling a neighbor's driveway after a snowstorm.  Lamott said that happiness/gratitude is in giving.  Giving is the greatest act of gratitude that exists.

Saint Marty couldn't agree more.  That's why he's giving you this post tonight.

Amen, Anne.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment