Sunday, May 5, 2013

May 4: I Could Have Danced All Night...

I have spent a good portion of the day in a dark auditorium in Howell, Michigan, watching the Cathy Roe Ultimate Dance Competition.  My daughter did very well.  On her solo tap number, she received a gold medal.  (Actually, it's called an "Outstanding Champion" medal this year.  Perhaps Cathy Roe decided to avoid categories that were easily identified as first, second, and third.  Sort of like when you have preschoolers play team sports but don't keep score so that everyone wins.  It's a load of crap, if you ask me.)  My daughter was one of only two dancers from her studio who received a gold/Outstanding Champion rating.  If you can't tell, I'm a little proud of her.

We went to dinner at the Olive Garden tonight.  My sister ordered steamed mussels as an appetizer.  The few that I ate were a little gritty.  My chicken Alfredo pizza was pretty damn good, though.  I still have two pieces left in the fridge.  I figure they'll be be my midnight, 1 a.m., or 2 a.m. snack.  Either that or I'll eat them for breakfast.

The hotel is teeming with dancers from the competition.  At the pool tonight, there were packs of bikini-clad girls (and one gay boy) hanging out in the hot tub.  Unfortunately, the fit the stereotype of teenaged dancer perfectly.  Catty.  Stuck-up.  Lettuce-leaf skinny.  I was more than happy when the pool closed for the night.

Tomorrow is a day of relaxation.  We're taking my daughter to an outlet mall.  Aside from that, more pool time is in my future (with fewer stuck-up teenagers).

Saint Marty is not setting his alarm for tomorrow morning.  He's going to stay in bed as long as his son will let him.  He's hoping for 5 a.m.

Silver, Gold, Platinum--let's keep it simple

No comments:

Post a Comment