Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 8: Change Sucks

Yes, this is going to be one of my change-sucks-swamp-water-off-a-frog's-rectum posts.

I know change is inevitable, like death and taxes.

I know change happens, and I can either get on board or get run over.

I know today is different from yesterday, and tomorrow will be different from today.  Because of change.

It's the whole chaos theory thing.  It created havoc in Jurassic Park, and it creates havoc in life.  Just because I have a job at the hospital and university today doesn't mean I'm going to be employed tomorrow.  Just because my wife couldn't take the job she was offered today doesn't mean she won't get another job offer tomorrow.  Change isn't always bad, but change is always scary.

Given a choice between preserving a current shitty life situation or embarking or an unknown life opportunity, a lot of people will choose shitty over unknown.  Change is scary.

I know the next four months are going to be difficult financially for me and my family.  I've been on this roller coaster before.  I've always survived.  Jobs come.  Jobs go.  Illnesses happen.  Car brakes need repair.  Computers get viruses.  Children fail classes.  Spouses develop bipolar disorder.  Cherished pets get sick and die.  Scientists extract velociraptor DNA from liquid amber and create living dinosaurs that feed on human flesh.  You get the idea.

On the other hand, universities hire full-time instructors.  Daughters win gold medals at dance competitions.  Spouses land unexpected employment opportunities.  Poets win chapbook contests.  Car loans get paid off.  Toddlers potty train.  Winter ends.  Warm weather sets in.  A butterfly flaps its wings on an African savanna and, on the other side of the world, a writer from a small town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan wins the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Change can suck.  That's for sure.  I've seen it happen more than once.

However, sometimes, change can transform a Marty into a saint.

Butterflies are enemies of the state...

No comments:

Post a Comment