Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 22: Publishing and Luck

For all would-be writers who read this blog, I have some wisdom to share.

Getting published depends quite a bit on contacts.  I have published one book and some poems in a few pretty good journals and magazines.  The publisher of my book was a friend of a colleague at the university where I teach.  Several of the editors of the magazines where I've placed poems were acquaintances, poets I met at readings, and, again, friends of colleagues.  That doesn't mean that I was published simply because of my contacts.  No.  My work had to stand on its own, as well.  The contacts simply opened the doors.  It was up to me to land the publication.  I have more rejections than publications, believe me, and most of them are from contacts.

I have wanted to be a professional writer ever since I can remember.  I have learned that getting published is about 50% talent and 50% luck.  The talents helps quite a bit, but it's also about a manuscript landing on the desk of an editor at just the right time.

I have worked as an editor for a couple of literary journals.  The selection process for these publications is/was highly subjective.  Good poems can get rejected.  Bad poems can get accepted.  It all depends upon the first person who reads the manuscript.  Now, most editors are experienced readers (and usually writers themselves).  They generally know what they're doing.  They recognize quality work.  It all boils down to personal aesthetic.  I think that's why books like Poet's Market always recommend reading an issue of a journal/magazine before submitting to it, so you know what kind of stuff the editors favor.

I don't have a great track record when it comes to publication.  I have been very lucky.  The first publishing house to which I submitted my first book accepted it.  That was luck (plus a little talent).  I'm beginning to think my luck has run out recently.  I sent out ten or twenty poetry submissions last summer.  I got ten or twenty of rejections.  One magazine never even replied.  I've also entered two or three writing contests in the past year, as well.  Let's just say my rejection record stands firm.

The most important thing I can tell young (and not-so-young) writers is to never get discouraged.  Keep sending out manuscripts.  Don't think of rejection as failure.  Think of it as one step closer to publication.  Luck always changes.  You have to believe in yourself, or nobody else will.

Saint Marty believes in himself.  He also believes in Santa Claus and the Great Pumpkin.

Join me in the pumpkin patch

No comments:

Post a Comment