Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20: Reading Tonight, Nature Essay, Magic 8-Ball Monday

I have a lot of things on my mind this morning.  It's going to be an incredibly busy day.  Aside from working, I'm appearing at Peter White Public Library in Marquette for a book release event of The Way North, an anthology of U. P. writers.  I, along with several other authors in the collection, will be reading and answering questions.

I'm not quite sure how this reading is going to go.  Late last week, one of the other readers suggested we all dress in "traditional" U. P. clothing--flannel, swampers, hunter's orange, snowmobile helmets.  I think he was half-joking, but some of the other writers latched on to the idea.  I have no idea what I'm going to be walking into tonight.  I have an orange dress shirt I'm going to wear, but that's the only concession I'm making.

After the reading, I'm going out for drinks with the other readers.  I probably won't order anything with alcohol in it.  I've got to work tomorrow morning, after all.  However, it will be good to be included in a pack of writers.  I seldom get that opportunity in my daily existence.

The other thing I have to do today is work on a nature essay.  A local publisher is sponsoring a writing contest, and I've decided to give it a shot.  First prize is $250, for God's sake.  Now, I've never written a nature essay before.  I'm not really sure how to go about writing a nature essay, but I do have an idea for my subject.  I think it's going to be a hybrid of memoir and nature writing.  We'll see how it turns out.

Which brings me to Magic 8-Ball Monday.  The questions I have is simple:

Will I win the nature essay writing contest?

And the answer from the gospel according to Salinger is:

"I agree!  I agree they do, some of them!  But that's all I got out of it.  See?  That's my point.  That's exactly my goddam point," I said.  "I don't get hardly anything out of anything.  I'm in bad shape.  I'm in lousy shape.:

Well, the first half of that answer is pretty affirmative:  "I agree!"  The second half isn't quite as hopeful:  "I'm in lousy shape."  I'm, not quite sure how to interpret that answer.    Positive?  Negative?

Saint Marty is going with the first half of the answer this morning.  He wants to be happy, not depressed, today.

I won't be wearing one of these tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment