Monday, August 29, 2011

August 29: Done Day, Post #300, Name that Poem

I just got back from teaching my first class of the semester--Good Books.  I'm not kidding when I say it was possibly one of the best first days I've ever had.  The students were relaxed.  They asked questions when I asked, "Are there any questions?"  And the questions were relevant.  When we did the class introductions, the students were funny and engaged.  They laughed at all my jokes, which is very encouraging.  If I'm going to gauge the rest of the semester by how today went, I would say it's going to be a wonderful autumn.  A great relief.

This post marks a milestone.  It is number 300 for my blog.  For the person who has been with me since the beginning (I'm talking to you, Wonder Twin), I want to thank you for hanging in there.  It has been a bumpy ride at times.  I (and the blog) have evolved over the last couple of years, for the better, I think.  I've been trying to decide how to commemorate this event.  Fireworks are too expensive.  A party for my loyal follower may be a little depressing.  (It would just be two people, sitting in a room, eating and drinking.)  A feature-length film based on my blog may be a hard sell in Hollywood.  That leaves me with one option...

Another contest.

Considering how popular my first contest was (I got a total of one entry for my muffin-naming contest), this contest may end up being the Hindenburg of contests.  I may end up standing back, crying, "Oh, the humanity!"  Nevertheless, I will try once more try to elicit some interest in my contest I'm calling, "Name that Poem."

The rules are pretty simple:
  1. In the comment section to this post, give me a subject to write a poem about.  It can be any old subject you want--macaroni and cheese, uncontrollable diarrhea, the Libyan revolution.
  2. You may enter the contest as many times as you want.
  3. In post 310, I will announce the winner of "Name that Poem," and I will write a poem about the subject the winner has suggested.  I will send the winner of the contest (if it doesn't cost too much money) an autographed copy of the poem and a cool holy card of a saint.
That's it people.  Get your poetry caps on.  Send me your suggestions.  What do you want me to write a poem about?  Make it easy.  Make it hard.  Make it whatever you want it to be.  Hurt me.

Saint Marty can take it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it should be name the subject! How about....jealousy/envy...a subject you know nothing about. I think of some more since I will be the only contestant. Hey where is my cartoon?

    ReplyDelete