Tuesday, August 23, 2011

August 23: "The Help," Paying Bills

I have two things I have to absolutely do today:

  1. I need to see where the movie The Help is playing in the area.  My wife and I are going on a date tonight, and we both really want to see this film.  (No, it's not a chick flick.  I read the book, and it is great.  Plus, how can you lose with Viola Davis?)
  2. I need to pay my car loan and my heating bill for the month.  Yes, even in the summer, you have to use heat in the U.P.  It isn't much, but I don't want the company to shut off my gas.  That would become inconvenient next month when the weather turns a little cooler.
It's going to be a busy day at work.  Lots of people getting surgery.  'Tis the season, I guess.  People want to be able to pee and see clearly for autumn.  Tomorrow, I have to make an appearance at the English Department's first meeting of the school year.  Generally, I avoid these meetings like small pox exposure, but a friend said I should probably show up, "to keep my face out there."  I have no idea what that means.  Perhaps, since my face moved to my office in another, distant building (apart from the English Department), people have forgotten I still exist/work for the university.  Thus, my face's rare attendance at a department meeting tomorrow afternoon.  Lord, I hope it's short.

That's Saint Marty's world in a nutshell this morning.  Not very exciting, but who said a saint's life had to be miracles and visions every day?

Not a chick flick!

No comments:

Post a Comment