Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August 17: Great Night, Good Morning

Last night, my wife and I had dinner with a group of friends (some old, some new) at a friend's house.  It was a lovely evening, full of great stories about world travel, food, writing, poetry, and stealing art work from famous museums.  No, I wasn't dining with international art thieves.  We were discussing obsessions, and all of the people in attendance admitted to coveting paintings and sculptures from places as diverse as the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art to the Louvre.  I myself talked about my very close encounter with a van Gogh.  (It's a long story I may blog about some day.)

We stayed out way too late.  I drank way too much wine.  This morning, I'm really tired, but it's quiet in the office today, and I have time to reflect and recuperate.  I also have time to piece together my syllabus for the mythology class I'm teaching this fall semester.  I've never taught this class before, so it's going to be a steep learning curve for me for the next couple of months.

The summer is drawing to a close, and autumn is almost upon us.  I can feel myself shifting from the lazy-days-of-summer mode to the hectic-days-of-fall mode.  I'm not sure I'm ready for the change, but, as with most things in life, I don't have much of a choice.  Last night, as I drove home from our friend's house, the moon was huge and yellow.  A harvest moon.  It's time to gather the crops of June, July, and August.


Shine on, harvest moon...

Saint Marty has had a pretty good summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment