Monday, May 20, 2024

May 20: "Charmed," Vena Amoris, "Wedding Band"

Billy Collins leads a charmed life . . . 

Charmed

by: Billy Collins

The tiny figures
on your bracelet
ride around one wrist

while on the other
the hours
circle your pulse.



I have always envied people with charm bracelets for some reason, each tiny metal sculpture carrying its own narrative.  A starfish from your Honolulu honeymoon.  An angel from the gift shop of the hospital where your father died.  A musical note from the person who taught you piano for 12 years.

I don't own much jewelry.  In my dresser drawer, I have a cross on a chain and a gold earring.  I used to wear both all the time, but, over the years, the chain snapped and the post turned my earlobe green.  So now the only adornment I sport is my wedding band.

It's a simple, gold ring with scalloped engraving around the edges.  I've had it on my hand for close to 30 years.  It reminds of good times and bad times.  I remember once hearing a pastor explain at a wedding ceremony that the fourth finger of the left hand possessed a vein (Vena Amoris) that runs directly to the heart.  It's a lovely belief, but is anatomically untrue.  No such vein exists.  Yet, the symbolism, originating in ancient Egypt, persists.  It's a good narrative.

The ring on my hand tells a story, too.  It's not a fairy tale.  I'm certainly no Prince Charming.  (Maybe Prince Mildly Amusing.)  There are struggles and heartbreaks in the story.  Moments of great joy and intense sorrow.  A beautiful daughter.  A funny-as-hell son.  A puppy that embodies unconditional devotion.  A woman who puts up with all my faults and failings.

It's a love story, warts and all, I guess.

Saint Marty isn't holding his breath for happily ever after.  He'll be satisfied with able-to-pay-all-his-bills ever after.

Wedding Band

by: Martin Achatz

can be on your
ring finger
symbolizing love
without end

or those guys
at the reception
who got drunk, played
"Achy Breaky Heart"
three times
in a row.

The face of love . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment