Thursday, April 11, 2013

April 11: Snow and Poetry

Tonight is a night for snow and poetry.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is bracing for a huge snowstorm overnight.  Up to 14 inches where I live in the highlands of Marquette County.  It's supposed to start falling later this evening and last until Saturday morning.  It's the same storm that has pretty much paralyzed Minnesota.  In the U.P., it will simply add five to ten minutes onto the morning commute.  However, I am tired of snow.

The other thing going on tonight is a poetry reading by a good friend of mine at the local library.  He's reading from his newly published book of poems, and I'm planning to attend.  I've even offered my students extra credit for showing up and writing a paper about it.  I'm just hoping that, by the time the reading is over, I'm not going to be driving home in a blizzard.  I've done that quite a few times.  It isn't fun.

That is what's on Saint Marty's agenda.  To quote Wallace Stevens, Saint Marty has "a mind of winter" tonight.

This is what my drive home is going to be like this evening

No comments:

Post a Comment