Friday, April 26, 2013

April 26: A Good Poem at the End of a Long Day

Yes, I survived the P.O.E.T.S. Day meetings this morning intact.  They were long, contentious, angry, aggravating, and disappointing.  I don't want to go into details.  I still respect the university and English Department at which I teach.  I will not cast aspersions on any of my colleagues, no matter how wrong-headed and elitist I think they are.  I'm tired and need a good poem to end my day.

The one I have chosen is by U. A. Fanthorpe, and it's about Romulus and Remus, Blodeuwedd, Athena and Helen of Troy, Aprhodite, and Jesus Christ.  It's a poem I wish I had written.

And it makes Saint Marty very happy.

Nativities

 Godlings are born racily.

They are excavated
Into life by the strong licks
Of the world-cow, suckled
By goats, mares, wolves.

Blossom of oak, blossom of broom,
Blossom of meadowsweet
Go to their making.

They erupt through the paternal
Skull fully armed, hatch from an egg,
Or appear, foam-born,

In Cyprus, in a shell,
Wearing a great deal of hair
And nothing else.

This one arrived
At the time of the early lambs
By means of he usual channels.

The usual channel

No comments:

Post a Comment